How to secure website (what is website security?)
Website security refers to the applications and actions used to ensure the protection of website data from exploitation by cyber criminals and malware.
Website security helps by protecting software, hardware and sensitive data such as passwords from different attacks available.
Using the proper security protocols such as a SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate, will protect your site from the following security threats:
- Defacement. In this assault, malicious content from a cybercriminal replaces the content on your website.
- DDoS (Distributed denial of service) assaults. These attacks can cause your site to load slowly or even crash, taking away all functionality and blocking access to it for users.
- Exploitation of vulnerabilities. By taking advantage of weak spots in a website, such as an out-of-date WordPress plugin, cybercriminals can gain access to a site and the data contained on it.
- Malware. Malware, which stands for “malicious software,” is a highly widespread danger that is used to steal important customer data, spread spam, provide hackers access to your website, and more.
- Blacklisting. If search engines discover malware on your site, this is what may happen. It can be blocked from search engine results and marked with a warning that discourages people from visiting.
Putting website security best practices into place will protect your visitors from these common risks as well:
- Stolen session. A user’s session may be hijacked by some cyberattacks, forcing them to perform undesired actions on a website.
- Data theft. Hackers typically target visitor or customer information saved on a website, including email addresses and payment information.
- Malicious rerouting. Visitors may be diverted from the website they meant to visit to a hostile website by certain attacks.
- Spam in SEO. It is possible to confuse your visitors and send them to malicious websites by adding strange links, pages, and comments to your website.
- Phishing tactics. Phishing attacks don’t only occur in emails; in some cases, users are tricked into supplying critical information by visiting web pages that appear legitimate but are actually malicious.
Why is web security so important?
Every website needs adequate security risk protection for four main reasons.
- It helps you maintain visitors and/or customers while safeguarding your reputation. One in four Americans will reportedly discontinue doing business with a company after a data leak, according to estimates. Losing that many clients would be terrible for both big and small businesses.
- Hosting companies look out for the server that houses your website, not the website itself. The relationship between a website and its host can be compared to that of an apartment complex where security is provided by the management but door locks are the responsibility of individual residents.
- The cost is lower than a cyberattack. Small businesses can lose up to $427 every minute due to cyberattacks; in comparison, Cubithost customers enjoy a comprehensive free website protection service for far less.
- Cyberattacks and malware can be challenging to detect. Cybercriminals specialize in malware that can covertly access websites and remain hidden, thus a cyberthreat may exist without a site owner even being aware of it. Backdoor malware, which lets someone access a website without the owner’s knowledge, and cryptojacking, which silently mines a website for cryptocurrency, are two examples of cunning malware attacks. These are becoming more prevalent: in 2022, 32% of infected websites had a backdoor attack, and cryptojacking is becoming more and more regular, with usage up 23% in the first half of 2021 compared to the prior year. Once a hacker gains access to your website covertly, they can steal your visitors’ information, access your data, use phishing scams, and more without your knowledge.
In conclusion, web security is an aspect of digital safety that should never be taken lightly. The increasing number of cyber threats and attacks demand the implementation of strong security measures to protect yourself and data while using your website. Being vigilant and proactive about web security to enjoy a safer and more secure website experience. Our next article will show how to protect your website from cyber attacks. Hence, to enjoy secure website hosting, take advantage of the Cubithost free hosting plan now.